How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12174
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Scottish law As executors of my mother´s estate do my

This answer was rated:

Scottish law
As executors of my mother´s estate do my brother and sister need 'Confirmation' from the Sheriff court. i.e. The legal document from the court giving the executor(s) authority to uplift any money or other property belonging to a deceased person from the holder (such as the bank), and to administer and distribute it according to law. Do they also need this to take any money from the house? They have already taken money from the house and probably other items. I cannot access the house until tomorrow. As a daughter I am one of the beneficiaries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know they have not obtained The Confirmation.
They can safeguard the estate and pay any debts pending Confirmation, but they can't intromit with funds or pay any beneficiaries, including themselves, without Confirmation. Any money taken from the house has to be accounted for in the estate account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does 'safeguard the estate mean´ in layman's terms? There were no debts. They used money that was in the house, and there must have been a considerable amount, to pay for the funeral, the meal at the hotel afterwards, and a meal at a very expensive restaurant for 10 people the day after. I do not know how much money they found in the house as they have not informed me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I also ask you to explain 'intermit´. Sorry I am not familiar with this terminology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean 'intermit´.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer keeps on changing the spelling as it assumes there is an error. What does INTROMIT mean in the context in which you have used it.
They can use the money from the house to pay for the funeral and purvey. They can't use the funds for any other purpose if there are no other debts. Intromit means use the funds. Safeguard the estate means just that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please let me know if the executors need to use a solicitor if the house has been left in the will to my sister? I have found the answers to my previous questions. Thank you.
They do need a solicitor as they wont be able to do the legal work themselves.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for your help. I could not have managed without this advice. I will submit to credit you.