How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My Dad married a woman just over a year ago,

This answer was rated:

Hi, my Dad married a woman just over a year ago, for financial security for the woman. (she gets the pension and 1/3rd of any money in bank. They continued to live separately in their own homes. My Dad has recently died, leaving his house to my sister and I. However no mention in his will about the contents and his wife now wants a 3rd? Do we need to agree to this or as all the items were purchased before marriage, can we say no, where do we stand?. Thanks (We live in Scotland)
A widow is entitled to one third of all moveable property and that includes household contents. However, the usual way of dealing with that is to give her a third of the value, not the actual items. The date of purchase doesn't matter in an inheritance situation. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you