How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I have been married years and have got 2

Customer Question

My husband and I have been married for 19 years and have got 2 children. In the past I suffered years of emotional abuse, including affairs, sending me and my baby away when he thought we got too annoying and I don't have any feeling for him at all anymore after all these years of suffering.
We have owned several houses, which I renovated and as we always sold these at a profit and including my husband's earnings, we now own a house which is mortgage free. I am self employed and have told my husband that I don't need him to pay me anything but I need to stay in the house with my children. He doesn't really have much of a relationship with his children so he is not considering for joined custody. Could you please tell me whether I'm allowed to keep the house and what my other rights are.
Many thanks,
Marijke *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You're entitled to half of all marital assets. You are entitled to ask the court to award the house to you as part of your share, on the basis that it is fair to do so given you need it for yourself and the children. Happy to discuss further.