How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner and I separated 8 years ago. We have a joint

This answer was rated:

My partner and I separated 8 years ago. We have a joint mortgage and a son who is 11.
My partners pays maintenance unofficially into my bank account.
I have been paying the ,mortgage and all bills myself for this period.
My ex has now decided he wants his name removed from the mortgage and is willing to walk away with no money. I on paper according to the mortgage lender cannot afford the house on my own (even though I have been ).
Can my ex force me to sell the family home??
Where do I stand legally??
Thanking you in advance
You ex can insist that he is removed from the title and if you can't take on the mortgage on your own he could insist on a sale. To avoid this you should see a financial adviser who can explain your specific circumstances to your lender or alternatively find an alternative lender to take you on based on the fact that you have been paying the mortgage for many years without any help from the co owner. It is important that you fully investigate the mortgages that might be available to you because legally your ex can insist on a sale. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you