How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My student son has received a letter from crown prosecution

This answer was rated:

Hello my student son has received a letter from crown prosecution service given him a written warning about an alleged offence. The alleged offence was for a traffic offence of which was not committed by son as he does not have a car or access to one. On the night in question he was picked up for been drunk and taken back to his student accommodation. I am concerned that his contact details have been entered incorrectly against the wrong offence. Unfortunately the letter was not opened during time of appeal. Can you please advise if there is any means of appeal to clear this warning off my sons name.

What do you mean by warning?

CPS wouldn't normally deliver a police warning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter states the cps is not going to prosecute this time as long as my sons accepts the letter as a warning. The alleged offence is stated as being held on file for 2 years.

is it possible you could scan and email the letter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have attached a copy. Only just discovered the unopened letter this week when shredding paperwork

You are in Scotland which explains the difference.

I will opt out and move this to Scots law for you.

I'm a solicitor in Scotland. It appears the wrong offence has been put into the letter. Notwithstanding the time for appeal has expired you should tell them by replying to the letter that they have got it wrong. They'll then issue the correct letter. Happy to discuss further.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you