How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How do we have my son's name removed as a father on a birth

This answer was rated:

How do we have my son's name removed as a father on a birth certificate ?
we had a 2 way paternity test done just months after the baby was born and it was a an 'incompatible' result. However the girlfriend is still seeking maintenance from my son just because his name is ***** ***** birth certificate ( which is no proof that he is the biological father ) There is a father for her baby living in the same town but she chooses not to name him to collect any maintenance which should be his lawful responsibility. Does the law insist that she has to declare who the real father is ?

Your son has to see a family law solicitor and raise an action in court for declarator of non paternity. Assuming the court makes the order this then goes to the Registrar General and the birth certificate can be changed. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you