How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Last March 2015 we engaged an architect to draw plans house

This answer was rated:

Last March 2015 we engaged an architect to draw plans for our house for a proposed extention to our house. The plans he did for us were not detailed enough for being submitted for planning permission and building warrant despite him being told that was what we required. We were then unable to get hold of him and eventually gave up on him. Then the other day we received a bill for £660.00 for his work stating that he had done planning permission submissions for us which he had not.
First as it is over a year since we first engaged his services do we have to pay the bill at all? If we do have to pay something can we just pay what we think the work is worth in the same way you can a builder?
Our last contact from him prior to the bill was late April 2015.
May thanks.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Do you have any evidence of your attempts at contacting him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No as it was done by phone. He himself made no attempt to contact us.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Sorry just to clarify are you based in Scotland?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Scotland. Sorry about the delay but there was a problem with my account and I could not send the reply till now.

The time he has taken to pay the bill isn't relevant. He has five years to bill you in Scotland. However, from your narrative he is in breach of contract. You engaged him to prepare plans suitable for applying for local authority consents. He didn't do that. Tell him you're not paying the bill for that reason. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your advise and I would like to keep this open if possible as I will be writing to him today to say we will not be paying the bill. Just in case I need any further advise. Many thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thought. Would I be as well waiting for him to chase payment before I start correspondence with him? Thanks.

No I think you should make it clear in writing at the moment why you aren't prepared to pay the bill. Keep a copy of the letter and you can found on it at a later stage if necessary. You don't want him saying to a court that your complaints weren't made until he started chasing you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks.