How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My business occupies a unit, in this case its Unit 3 in an

This answer was rated:

My business occupies a unit, in this case its Unit 3 in an industrial estate... Business Stream (Scotlands business water provider) have been invoicing me for over a year for Unit 5.
They have applied numerous charges for non payment, and have disconnected my water supply (at the correct address, Unit 3).
I have informed them on many occasions that I can not pay an invoice for an address I do not occupy, however they continue to send me debt collection letters, which still refer to Unit 5.
Should I pay? Or are these invoices and charges unenforceable? Many thanks.

I have had similar cases involving Business Stream and their attitude in my experience is aggressive, unhelpful and frankly unacceptable. I have won all my cases against them. You need to get your lawyer to write to them and threaten an action for damages if they don't get this right. Their lawyers are Brodies in Edinburgh and your lawyer may want to write to them directly rather than waste time with dealing with them directly. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your time - But am I correct in thinking I should not pay an invoice for an incorrect supply address, and that they would simply be unable to enforce this?Perhaps you could advise me of your direct costs to do as you advised.

No, if they get a court order they can enforce the order even if it's wrong. You have to defend your position and tell the court that it's wrong. Experts on this site can't take on cases directly, however, my rate for this sort of work would be £200 per hour.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you