How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Our mortgage has been paid off and I have drafted a

This answer was rated:

Our mortgage has been paid off and I have drafted a discharge of the standard security for recording in the register of sasines. Could you check this is in the correct style and has no obvious errors? I'm not sure about the deduction of title clause as I could not find an example anywhere, but it's neccessary as the lender was Halifax plc and they have now been replaced by Bank of Scotland plc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your deduction of title clause is fine. The only change Inwould make is to add details of your property after the words "County of Selkirk" by adding the words "over All and Whole the subjects known as and forming" and then copy the address and conveyancing description from the Standard Security. I hope at helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Also, is it actually neccessary to include our former address? And should the letter to the lender just say "I have enclosed a discharge of the standard security registered for this mortgage and would be grateful if it could be executed and returned to me as soon as possible."

If your former address appears on the Standard Security it is good practice to pick that up in the Discharge. And the proposed wording of your covering letter is fine.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bank has just returned the discharge, but they have just signed it without a testing clause or including the witness's address. Is this okay to record?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 'add files' button doesn't seem to be working so I have uploaded a copy of what was returned -!AiR5K_Ibx80ygrxdSbKkcGz-PfF7fw

No you need to put in a testing clause yourself if you are the presenter of the deed. You can assume the witness's address is the address on the letter returning the discharge.