How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I received a letter from the procurator fiscals office today

This answer was rated:

Hi There
I received a letter from the procurator fiscals office today 16/6/2016
A notice of impending prosecution.
Take notice in terms of section 1 of the road offenders act 1988 section 1
Take notice in terms of section1 of the road traffic act 1988, that it is intended to institute a prosecution against you in respect that on 5th June 2016 0n the A96 at Forres and also on the B817 Evanton to Alness Road, Ross shire you did drive a motor vehicle, reg number SY14 ZGK dangerously in that you repeatedly drove said vehicle in a manner causing other road users to take evasive action to avoid a collision, and making overtakes in the face of oncoming traffic contrary to section2 of the road traffic act 1988 as amended.
Note the fact this notice has been sent to you does not necessary indicate that you will be prosecuted .To comply with the law such a notice must be sent within fourteen days of an incident which may lead to a prosecution for the offence named if it is decided not to institute proceedings you will be informed.
I was on these roads on the date mentioned but don't recall any of these events
Do I need to do anything just now, and if proceedings start can I apply for legal aid, I am on pension credit guarantee.

This is simply a notice. You don't have to do anything at the moment. If they do prosecute and they send you a summons to appear in court you should see a solicitor immediately and apply for legal aid. If you are on pension credit you should qualify. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you