How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Asylum seeker taking me court child he only doing this so he

Customer Question

asylum seeker taking me court for contact for the child he only doing this so he can use the child to get indefinite leave to remain he is not slight bit interested in the child he is two years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can i do whats the out come of this will he get what he wants am so concerned abt my child safety
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Have you received papers? If so, what stage is the case at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its first instance hearing jus waiting for the first hearing in court
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

That will be the child welfare hearing. What you have to do is have your solicitor explain to the court that he has taken no interest in the child up to now and that his real reason is to support his application to stay in the country. You can use as example how many times he has asked to see the child. The court will take into account the best interests of the child. If an order is granted, from what what you say he may not bother with it anyway if all he needs is a bit of paper to show the immigration authorities. However, you will have to tell your solicitor the whole history so that you can put your case forward to the court. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there a possibility he be likley to be removed from the country sooner or later.. he has overstayed 11 years. will the court not take consideration of the childs best interest if we grant him contact he might not be here to keep the contact.
he has crimanal record
been very absuive to me
hit my elder daughter who is 8 now he not interested in her because she is girl
he jus wants to see the boy..
am just so worried he be very bad influence on the child if the court grants him contact.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

All of these factors are very relevant. His criminal record and record of abuse is such that the court would be hesitant to give him contact and if he has shown no interest in his daughter this is another relevant factor.