How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12086
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I wanted to know my partner and I are not married. I have

This answer was rated:

I wanted to know my partner and I are not married. I have just sold a house and have £150,000 as a deposit for another house. As I am on a low wage my partner said she we could have a joint mortgage for 50,000. The thing is we have 2 children. But she has left me a few times. But if she left me again say in 6 months is she entitled to the deposit I put down
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: what other details do you want
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.

You could argue that she is not entitled to any share of your deposit on the basis that that would be unjustly enriching her and that there was no intention to do so in the event of a separation. However, the amount of money you are talking about is substantial and my recommendation is that you see a solicitor and have a proper agreement drawn up, called a cohabitation agreement, clearly specifying what is to happen and who is to get what in the event of a separation. This would be binding and the courts would follow such an agreement in the event of your separation. It will cost about £500 and could be the best £500 you have ever spent if there is any risk of a separation whatsoever. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am creditd for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if she does not agree to an agreement. I am hoping to get the deeds in my name only would this make a difference if I could