How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have lived with my partner. In that time he has studied

Customer Question

I have lived with my partner for 15years. In that time he has studied and worked part time but my full-time income and latterly my pension has kept us going and I own the house we live in. Recently we have talked about splitting up and he had threatened to get part of the value of the house from me as well as part of my pension. I have all the bills to prove that I pay for everything. Does he have a claim on my home or my pension should we split up ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. He has no claim unless he has contributed to the family over the years. The reason for that is that an unmarried partner only has 2 remedies under Scots law. One is for unjust enrichment where he has contributed and it would be unfair for you to benefit from his contribution. The second is a statutory claim for recompense for contributions in your interests or that of any child. From your narrative you have a partner who has contributed nothing and therefore would be due nothing. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.