How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12074
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in the scottish borders and iam getting married in 3

Customer Question

Hi i live in the scottish borders and iam getting married in 3 weeks in the region my husband and i wish to relocate to which is thurso near (john o groats) my family live here and i wish to take my children with me but the fathers refuse me to go and my husband to be has gotton a full time job in thurso. Can our lifes be dictated to by 2 ex,s or will a sherriff allow us to move we have already said we will bring tje children down half way for them to meet them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the court order allows 2 of my children to see ther dad every 3rd weekend and in week 1 and 2 every tues and thursday for 3 hrs only thing that would be diffrent in the court order would be that they wouldnt see ther dad turs and thurs but can skype everyday if they want. My 19 month old sees her dad every 2nd saturday supervised for only 3 hrs. I have put forward that he sees her every 3rd full weekend supervised
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If there are court orders in place, you can't take the children away in breach of the court orders. You would have to apply to the court for a variation of the contact orders. Whether the sheriff agrees to the variation will depend on what is in the best interests of the children. Is it a better lifestyle for the children and would that outweigh the contact the fathers have at the moment? There are many issues but it comes down to whether you can establish that it is better that the fathers see the children less in favour of your marriage and moving away from the borders to the other side of the country. I hope that helps. Happy to do discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.