How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I forgotten to mentioned I just moved out of our marital

Customer Question

Hi, I forgotten to mentioned I just moved out of our marital home on the 13th August and currently living in Dubai, would that caused problem when come to divorced?Also a few weeks ago, my husband get me to sign a legal paper to remove my name from our existing property as we are buying a new property and my name will be on the new property. He said his lawyer suggest to do that as in UK if we are buying a second home the stamp duty fee we have to pay will be higher. So he said by doing so, the new property will be one owner only and we will saved quite abit of money. He said once we complete with purchase of the new property, he will get our lawyer to put my name back into our old property.So is all the above correct and justify? Am I causing myself problems here?
Also I do not know if we purchased the new property as he is not telling me and keeping it as secret.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If one of you is still living in the UK then there is jurisdiction for divorce. As far as the properties are concerned, this doesn't sound right to me as you can't avoid the additional stamp duty on a new property where you are husband and wife as you're treated as being the one family unit irrespective of who is on the title. I think you should speak to the lawyer to find out what is going on here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found out yesterday that my husband simply lie and cheated me to sign over the property to him as a sole owner. As he is now the sole owner, he then used it as a security to purchase a new property with his Brother. So if I proceed divorce with him now, I will entitled to not thing at all. Am I right?
Can you provide any advise or what I can do to get round this that I could claim or get what is rightfully mine? I paid and work hard for that property too.