How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A couple have been together for 25 years and are splitting

This answer was rated:

A couple have been together for 25 years and are splitting up. There are 2 children 13 and 17 . The father has rarely worked and purports to have been a house husband for a number of years but has had no financial input what so ever in all the 25 years . What sort of rights or claim does he have on the estate?

If the couple are married, he would be entitled to an equal share of matrimonial property. That means all property acquired during the marriage other than anything gifted to or inherited by one or other of the parties. If the couple are unmarried, he is less likely to get anything at all in the absence of any financial contribution although the court can take into account a non financial contribution if he has, for example, sacrificed a career to look after the house and children. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you