How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner has just entered a care home she owns the house

This answer was rated:

my partner has just entered a care home she owns the house what is my rights concerning the house when our finances become exhausted can they sell the home we have been partners for 35 years

No, they can't sell a property where you are the partner and living in the house. They may well tell you otherwise so be armed with the Revised Guidance on Charging for Residential Accommodation which you can Google for. It's on the ascottish Government website and I would refer you to paragraph 7.003 which says that a property:

"should still be disregarded where it is occupied in whole or in part by the resident's partner or former partner (except where the resident is
estranged or divorced from the partner/former partner)" I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you