How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12378
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am looking to start divorce proceedings on adultery

This answer was rated:

I am looking to start divorce proceedings on adultery grounds but do not want any thing asset wise what is the best way to proceed please

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. For how long have you been separated?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have only just separated but have already agreed between us to keep things as amicable as possible. Just over 1 week since he left the marital home

Unless there is any rush for a divorce I would wait a year and do this on grounds of separation with consent. If you do this on grounds of adultery, which you can, you will need evidence of adulterous behaviour and that can cost quite a bit by way of enquiry agents, additional solicitors fees etc. It involves an ordinary action in the sheriff court. You will need a solicitor as it is a lot more than just filling in forms. Allow about a total of £2500 in costs even if the action is undefended. After a year, and if there are no children under 16, you could do a simplified procedure divorce for £200.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you