How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I are separating after 11 years of being

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are separating after 11 years of being together, however we have only been married for 4 years. The family home was purchased in his name only prior to our wedding although I have regularly paid other bills. The mortgage is now paid off in full. He is adamant that the house is his and I am not entitled to any share of it. We live in Scotland. I have 2 children to a previous relationship and No children with my husband. Am I entitled to any share of the house ?

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Was the house bought in contemplation of the marriage? If so then it is termed “matrimonial property” and you are entitled to a fair share of it. So your husband is wrong if the house was bought as a family home even if it was put in his name. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you