How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12072
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am joint executor with my brother to my father's will. (we

This answer was rated:

Hi, yes, I am joint executor with my brother to my father's will. (we all reside in Scotland by the way). Is there specific wording I need to use in the formal letter for me and my siblings to discharge our legal rights to my father's estate. We all agree the content of the will - i.e. My father's estate should pass completely to my mother as per my father's wishes.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: All of us are resident in Scotland.
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we are pre confirmation.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is all thanks.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. There is no particular wording required. A one line letter saying that “I hereby renounce my claim to legal rights in the estate of the late.........” is sufficient and should be signed, dated and witnessed. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you