31090051

Can you explain qualified privilege as a defence to

Can you explain qualified privilege as a defence to defamation please.

Thank you for your question. A defence of qualified privilege allows free communication in certain relationships without the risk of an action for defamation - generally where the person communicating the statement has a legal, moral or social duty to make it and the recipient has a corresponding interest in receiving it. Giving a reference for a job applicant, answering police inquiries, communications between teachers and parents, local councillors, officers of companies, employers and employees, or traders and credit agencies, are all relationships that are protected by qualified privilege. However, the privileged communication must relate to the business at hand - the relationship cannot be abused for the purpose of relaying gossip. I hope that helps. Please leave a

positive rating so that I am credited for my time.