How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
Scots Law
This answer was rated:

I have just received a divorce citation from my ex wife,

I have just received a... Show More
I have just received a divorce citation from my ex wife , which I will agree to.
Can I write to sheriff clerk to postpone so that I can get legal advice on finances ?
My wife owned her house when I met her 15 years ago and I have contributed to the household since then , do I have any rights to claim some financial pay off as she is in the marital home.ThanksDavid Provan
Show Less
Ask Your Own Scots Law Question

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. What type of form have you received? Is it a simplified procedure application or an Initial Writ?

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
Simplified procedure.
In the notes asking if i wish to apply for postponement under section 3A, my letter requesting this must reach the court before 27th December, if I wish to make a financial claim.Thanks

Section 3A deals with postponement is to do with subsequent religious marriages is it not? Because you require advice on financial provision you should write to the clerk to say that financial issues remain outstanding and that you object to the simplified procedure divorce at this stage. That brings those proceedings to a halt. Better still get your solicitor to do so. Do not wait until the last minute. Get this done as soon as you can. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.