How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15899
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am interested in pursuing a lawsuit against my ex-flat

This answer was rated:

HiI am interested in pursuing a lawsuit against my ex-flat mate who caused me to have PTSD (I have had it for years but was only diagnosed in August 2017). How may I go about this, and which solicitors/firms would be best to help?Thank you

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Do you have credible medical evidence that your condition was caused by your ex flatmate? Assuming that to be the case does your ex flatmate have the resources to pay any award that the court may make in your favour?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
to both

In that case find a personal injury lawyer to take your case. The second one you mention would be suitable. Do not do this yourself. These cases are complex and most lawyers won’t touch PTSD so you do need a specialist.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to recommend a firm as I’m finding it hard to find one which will take it on (it’s probably worth mentioning that the trauma was caused by verbally and psychologically/emotionally abusive behaviour, not physical violence - yet the perceived threat of the latter contributed to my PTSD)? I’ve tried Thornton’s and Digby Brown but they were unable to help as it wasn’t a physical injury (DB) and because there was no police involvement (T’s) - though there’s a huge amount of other documentation that prove what occurred.

As I indicated in my initial answer if you have credible medical evidence and it is clear that the Defender has resources there should be no issue. However if you are looking for a no win no fee firm you won’t get that for a case like this. PTSD is not something that most firms will take a gamble on. You will either have to apply for legal aid or fund the case yourself if Digby Brown or firms like that won’t take it on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I’ve found it hard to find injury-centred law firms which do not operate the no win no fee policy... are you able to recommend any? I’ll rate you once you’ve answered, I just really need some pointers otherwise I’ll be back at square one. Thank you.

Sorry, do you want me to recommend lawyers which do no win no fee or those who don’t?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those who don’t, sorry that wasn’t clear. I just really need to find the rest firm/lawyer as it’s essential this is resolved - and soon. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the right

Harper Macleod.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much.