How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12299
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Evening, I was wondering if you can provide some guidance, I

This answer was rated:

Evening, I was wondering if you can provide some guidance, I sold a caravan in Scotland in July 2012, they then sold the caravan in 2016 to a caravan dealer in England, who then sold it on to another caravan dealer, the caravan was then sold to a couple 2017, who travelled and had the caravan sieved from them in Oct 2017 by the German police. They were informed that the caravan was stolen from Germany in 2008. The individual people have had the money returned to them by the previous owner, the person that I sold the caravan to in 2012 send me a letter asking for me to refund the full amount that he paid for it, can you confirm what my legal right is and if I am legally bound to pay him? The caravan dealer that I purchased the caravan from no longer exist.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. When did you buy the caravan and from whom?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bought it in 2010 and from a caravan dealer in Scotland.

Under Scots law you can’t obtain a good title to stolen goods. You would be liable to refund the price to the person you sold the caravan to.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found this on the internet is the below correct.
Your legal rights are slightly different depending on when you bought the item. This is because the law changed in October 2015.
If you bought the item before 1 October 2015
The seller didn't own the goods when they sold them to you, so you can ask for a full refund.
However, the seller can reduce the amount of the refund based on how long you’ve had the item for or how much you used it. In this case you’ll have to negotiate with the seller and decide what’s fair.Will I have to pay back the full amount or part of it if they used the caravan for 4 years?

You can ask for a refund but the difference is that the goods are stolen. There can be no issue and you would have to refund the whole amount.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you