31090051

I have a question. I purchased a 9 seater minibus from ford

Hi i have a question. I purchased a 9 seater minibus from ford 2.5 years ago . My engine died as i was driving on the motorway fullhouse. Ford have had the vechicle 30 days now . Under warranty they are putting in a new engine. With 1 years manufacturers warrantie. I believe they should have been doing recalls. As there has been high number of these euro5 engines dieing. But they dont as this will open up big can of worms. Very costly. They just hope peoples warranties will expire. And its not there problem.The fact is this could happen a again in 13 months and im left struggling as i will be out of warranty. With the same euro 5 engine.. i dont think people spend £31000 on a car thinking the engine might go. Its not fit for the purpose and this incident could have put my life and 8 passangers life on the raod doing 70 in fatel danger. I want to sue them not just loss of earning . I think they should give me not 1 year warrantie but five on the engine. If the cant they shoould not be selling these commercial minibuses. My earning lost to date is approximatly 5200 gross. And have not been given like for like vechile. They offererd to give £30.80 per day towards renting a hire car again this was not good enough as car rental places charge appro £1200 per week. What would you suggest how i go about this what level of compensation should i seek and which court please in scotland.Many thanks look forward to your answer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

I'm sorry. Can I just check whether you are seeking advice from a Scots based lawyer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi ben. Not spoken to anyone yet. Just to update you. Got a call yesterday to pick the car up which i did. 6 miles down the road saw engine management come. Bougt the vehclie back this morning. Gave me keys back 12.15 drove 1 mile down the road. Heard a pop sound and accelaration dropped to a limp mode. Im back to the garage just know again.

Hi there. Thank you for this information. Are you based in Scotland?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Edinburgh

OK thank you. Will need to opt out in that case so that a Scots based lawyer can assist you. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Do you have evidence that the vehicle had this fault when you purchased it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there. No evidence

Even you say it should have been a recall issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Theres been alot of mention of it online that the euro 5 engines have this problem. The oil pumps failing.

That would suggest problem. You may want to investigate this further. The reason I say that is because the only way you will be able to do anything other than claim under warranty is to establish that the vehicle was flawed from day one. If that was the case then you would have the ability to sue the dealer for the various losses that you refer to. If you can establish a known fault in the vehicle range then you will have a much easier case to raise in court.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok i got the vechile back thursday only to go back in on friday they fixed somthing and i drove off and 1 mile down the road i heard a pop and went into a limp mode. Took the vehcile back to ford they said that was the egr. My warranty expires in 5 months . They have said that yhe new engine will not be entiled to any additional warranty after that period as i have not had to pay for it. So how am i protected if things ho wrong with that in the same way again?

You aren’t. That’s why you have to reject the vehicle outright but you can only do that after this length of time if the vehicle was flawed at the time of purchase. You need a report from the AA for example which may have data on this.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.