How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12299
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have received a letter from Solicitors in Glasgow to claim

This answer was rated:

I have received a letter from Solicitors in Glasgow to claim damages in connection to a dog bite that happened over 12 years ago. The little girl was posting fliers through my parents letterbox where I was visiting at the time with my dog and it bit her ring finger, through the letterbox! The police visited me afterwards and no formal complaint was made. The little girl (who is now obviously older) was with two other younger girls, who were unaccompanied by an adult. The Solicitors are asking for my insurance details, which after 12 years I have no idea who my insurer was at the time. I no longer live in Scotland and currently reside in France. They are saying they are within the allowed time period as she was a child when the injury occurred? Also if I cannot locate my insurance information, they are asking me to confirm that I personally meet the cost of the claim for damages. Where do I stand and what should I do next?Kind regards
Jacquelene Pirret-Borel

I am a solicitor in Scotland. As regards ***** ***** they can raise a claim up to 3 years following the child’s 16th birthday. What you have to do is insist on knowing what injury is. If you were insured you need to find out who your insurer was at the time however hard that might be. Under no circumstances do you confirm that you will meet the claim for damages. There are issues of reasonable care and the general law of delictual liability which may exclude your liability. Those are my initial thoughts and you should see a solicitor to deal with this for you, although if you can establish your insurer you can simply pass the whole claim to them. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you