31090051

We parked outside the forecourt of a shop which was closed

Customer Question

Hi, we parked outside the forecourt of a shop which was closed (after 5pm) in the uk as the whole area was very busy due to fair going on, we didn't notice they have parking notices up until we came back and found a ticket on the windscreen, we then looked and saw the notices on the window at a couple of points, we were staggered as the shop was closed, why did it matter at that time of the day we thought! this was last October 2017. this week we have had a letter from TNC demanding payment now of £170 otherwise they will advise client to go to court with it! We had initially ignored the ticket as thats what forums and friends etc had said to do! I am now wondering if this was the wrong thing to do! Should I ignore the demand again? I amsuprised they have waited so long to chase it up anyway.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Hull. East Yorks
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Sorry i dont know what you mean
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no we just ignored the ticket. the car is my husbands and he was driving.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.

If you were unaware of the parking restriction then ignore the ticket. If they sue you they would have to prove that you knew about the restriction and it is difficult for them to do that. You do run the risk of being sued but it is a small risk in my experience.