31090051

I have recently separated from my wife, and am paying all of

I have recently separated from my wife, and am paying all of our debt because it is in my name, my question is should I be paying all of it or should it be split between us?The debt was built due to mostly home improvements, and wy ex wife is living in the house.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. The law in Scotland is that matrimonial property and matrimonial debts are shared fairly between the parties. In all but a few exceptions fair sharing means equal sharing. So although you have to pay your creditors because the debt is in your name, you can seek a contributions from your wife and it should be split between you equally. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.