How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13204
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner is legally separated in Scotland. He has

This answer was rated:

Hello, my partner is legally separated in Scotland. He has children. Divorce is taking long. He wants to buy a house for us. Will his wife and children have rights to the house?

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Any property purchased after a separation is not included in th definition of matrimonial property and his wife and children would have no right tothe house. He should of course make a will at the same time as the purchase to ensure that there are no inheritance rights in the event that he should die. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you