31090051
Scots Law

My partner is legally separated in Scotland. He has

Hello, my partner is legally... Show More
Hello, my partner is legally separated in Scotland. He has children. Divorce is taking long. He wants to buy a house for us. Will his wife and children have rights to the house?
Show Less

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Any property purchased after a separation is not included in th definition of matrimonial property and his wife and children would have no right tothe house. He should of course make a will at the same time as the purchase to ensure that there are no inheritance rights in the event that he should die. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.