How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13672
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother is in hospital and i cannot get power of atternoy

This answer was rated:

my mother is in hospital and i cannot get power of atternoy the local councle say i should get gaurdianship

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. You will need a guardianship order if your mother cannot understand what is involved in a power of attorney. A Petition for appointment of a guardian has to be made to the Sheriff Court by your solicitor. Medical evidence is needed and the application must be served on all immediate family members and the court will assign a hearing after service. This is not something you can do yourself and you should see a solicitor local to you. Many applications qualify for legal aid so it may not cost anything to make the application. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you