31090051

Im in Scotland. My ex partner we were together 20 yrs had

Customer Question

Im in Scotland. My ex partner we were together 20 yrs had died. He had no contact with a daughter from a previous marriage. I was down as his next of kin. On life insurance at his job etc. Now his daughter has taken over and got the army involved to deal with his funeral. Ex veteran. I cant get access to his home where I have personal items..Passport etc. Plus legal documents relating to his death. What do I do and where do I stand
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Did you live in the home with him? Who owns it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No we didn't live together any longer. And he had rental property
Expert:  JGM replied 3 months ago.

As you were not cohabitants you have no claim on his estate I’m afraid unless there is a will leaving estate to you. As far as your personal effects are concerned you or your solicitor should write to the daughter requesting access to uplift your belongings. If access is refused then you can ask the court to make an order for delivery of the items which belong to you. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.