31090051

Seperated from wife 3 weeks ago, been married 18 years. 2x

Customer Question

Seperated from wife 3 weeks ago, been married 18 years. 2x kids, 1 has her own house (22 years old) other lives at our home (18 years old) we have a private home with £100,000 mortgage left. I have paid the mortgage for the last 10 years.
What is the wife untitled to when we devorce.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for your question. You are each entitled to a fair share of all property and money and investments and pensions accrued during the marriage. That in your case will typically mean a 50% share. So your wife will be entitled to half of the value of the equity in the house and half of any other assets. If your wife doesn’t earn she will also be entitled to maintenance for a period, usually 3 years. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.