Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I was assaulted last year in Scotland and the charge has

Customer Question

I was assaulted last year in Scotland and the charge has been reduced from serious assault to assault to injury. I was punched in the face and had 12 external and two internal muscular stitches to my lip. The case is being dealt with by the Crown but should I also be seeking independent legal representation?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Haven't talked to a lawyer and I live in Scotland
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None other than this contact with you
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will you charge me for the connection?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Usually you would not as a victim be legally represented. The Crown prosecutes and witnesses including the victim do not have a right of audience before the court other than by way of giving evidence. So the Crown decides what charge to lay. Serious assault would normally be charge as assault to severe injury. Has the Crown told you why the charge has been reduced?