How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13337
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

After receiving documents to say I was divorced in 1993 I

Customer Question

Hi there, after receiving documents to say I was divorced in 1993 I now find out that I am not actually divorced, I got married in Botswana and my husband left and went to South Africa and while I was in the process of divorcing him I received a document of a divorce decree in the Cape of Good Hope. My son wanted a copy of my divorce document and went to the Botswana registry office where they told him there is no divorce registered .. so my son told them it was issued in the Cape of Good Hope they then said there is no jurisdiction between the 2 countries and I have to divorce in Botswana. Problem in the near future I want to marry again so need to know I am divorced, my ex or husband whichever he is has married again. long story as I suffered after he left me with nothing to support myself and he is a multi millionaire. I had lived for 9 years with him and married for 3yrs working and running 3 20,000 hectare farms with 1,000 cattle and 500 sheep and goats while he did transport. So much more to say but need to know fees as I am a pensioner on pension credits and really can't afford much but can pay 20% of any monies won by settlement of divorce, thanks Lynette M XXXXXXXXX

Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

If you live in Scotland you can divorce in the Scottish court using simplified procedure in the sheriff court. If you know where your husband stays you can ask the court to serve papers on him. If you don’t then there is provision for service being made without the address being known. It can be served on a child of the marriage for example. You should look up the simplified procedure divorce forms and print them from and complete them and send them to the court with your marriage certificate and fee. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.