Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My roomate is trying to take me to court over a council tax

Customer Question

Hi there, my roomate is trying to take me to court over a council tax dispute, even though my name is ***** ***** either of the council statements.I did not put my name on the contract, and they have misspelt it incorrectly in the first place. I have stayed there on a temporary basis, the flat however has the internet provider in my name, also my works address has been for that place.We would have come to an agreement if he didnt immediatly threaten to take me to coart, now its just a matter of principal for me not paying it.What would be my options?
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The disputed amount is around 1200£, and they have just called me to inform they will get a lawyer in Lithuania and charge me for all legal costs. Can that be the case in this matter? According to simple procedure up to 5k£ claims
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Normally tax should be included in any agreement and in the absence of any agreement, how can your former room mate pursue you?

Yes, in Scotland it is the Simple Procedure up to £5,000.00.

Legal costs would be limited to fixed costs under the above procedure, so they are trying to make empty threats.

I would be happy to help defend any claim which comes your way. Is this something you would be happy with? You will receive a claim form and will have the opportunity to either accept the sum claimed in full, in part, or to dispute the entire sum.

Kind regards,

Jim