How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13957
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Is there a way i can raise a child access court case in

This answer was rated:

Is there a way i can raise a child access court case in Scotland without involving a solicitor
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps taken yet. I had a solicitor dealing with it spent over a £1000 then negotiations were between myself and my children's solicitor. Once I agreed with a proposal they put forward I was informed by her solicitor that they no longer acted on her behalf.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No not yet I was hoping to be able to do this myself as I can't afford the huge expense of a solicitor anymore.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've been told by Inverness court I need to produce an initial writ but I'm unsure how i would do this.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Unless you are acquainted with the sheriff court rules and how to draft court papers you will not be able to raise a case for contact to a child. A family action is not a form filling type of case. As you say, you have to be able to draft, lodge and serve an Initial Writ and follow through the procedures of receiving Defences, making adjustments to the Initial Writ, preparing and attending the various hearings including a child welfare hearing. The process is designed for lawyers who train for many years learning these matters and unfortunately is not user friendly as regards ***** ***** You really will need to keep using a lawyer. I hope that helps answer your question. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you