31090051

Have child maintenance agreement since c 2004. Daughter now

Hi have child maintenance agreement since c 2004. Daughter now 19 , completed 2 years at college, about to start 3 year University course with NHS bursary. At what point does my support (via her mother) end ?

Child support should end when th child reaches the age of 18. From that age and until the child ceases in full time education or training, up to the maximum age of 25, a parent has an obligation to pay maintenance (known as ailment) directly to the child. There is no set amount. The amount depends on the child’s needs and the parent’s resources. Note that both parents have this obligation. The law here is section 1 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985 which you can read online. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks so in theory I can support my daughter directly at a level agreed with her . Her mother may argue that her contribution is bed and board which i accept. If i supplement here busary with an allowance then that should suffice? KR Angus

That is exactly what the law is intended to do, yes. You can agree a level of support with your daughter that you can afford and which helps her having regard to the bed and board provided by mother and any loan or bursary provided elsewhere. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.