How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15094
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I’m looking for advice my ex and I separated in July 2008

This answer was rated:

Hi I’m looking for advice my ex and I separated in July 2008 our kids were 16 & 18 both still in full time education. He paid me around £120 per week for a couple of years. We divorced in Oct 2012 and our house sold on Dec 2011. I signed on his request divorce papers stating we wouldn’t claim each other’s pensions and we split the house proceeds 50/50 even though I’d paid mortgage and bills from us splitting till it sold. I’m now realising I’ve been taken for a fool as he can retire next year at 55 from Scottish Power with a full pension while I have to work till 67 for my Local Authority one. I had 5 years not working when we had the children. Am I too late to do anything about this?
I appreciate your advice Debbie Pate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that should read £120 a month not week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also kids lived with me
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m happy to wait for another response. Is there any further information you feel is required at this stage. Debbie Pate

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. As you are now divorced, under Scots Law you cannot open up the issue of finances at this stage. In Scotland, the law provides for a “clean break” and once divorce is granted that’s it. I’m sorry to advise in those terms but that is what the law says. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15094
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you