31090051

I am just wondering how this works. Will I be required to

Customer Question

Hi, I am just wondering how this works. Will I be required to pay something at the end of the chat?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Northeast of Scotland.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have been to the ombudsmen and tried resolving the issue with the council and neighbours, to no avail.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The issue is regarding a lane that runs alongside our house. The land is not metalled, not suitable for cars and has been damaged. The land, although private, is not directly owned by anyone as far as our research has shown. We believe it needs someone to take responsibility and we need to know how to go about taking ownership.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 1 month ago.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a practising solicitor and a university teacher of conveyancing and property law in Scotland. Is any reference to this lane made in your own title deeds? Do you know if your title is in the Land Register of Scotland or in the Sasine Register? If you don’t know can you tell me when the property was bought by you? Does the lane run alongside just your property or also that of neighbours?