31090051

My ex partner has permission to reside at my address where I

Hi my ex partner has permission to reside at my address where I have a secure tenancy. He got violent and now I don’t want him there. Does he have any right to still live in my house or can I change the locks?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in the east end of Glasgow
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been to the housing where they said I can change the lock but he still has occupancy rights so I need an exclusion order? I’ve been reading about it online and I’m quit confused. I was also told to report the incident to the police to keep on record.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that’s it

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. If you and your partner aren't married he DOES NOT have automatic occupancy rights to stay in your house although he could apply to the court for occupancy rights as your partner. So you can change the locks and he would not be entitled to come back to the house. If he does, then you can call the police again. You can of course go to court for interdict and exclusion order as well. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.