31090051

Divorce I am nearing the end of an acrimonious divorce

Divorce
I am nearing the end of an acrimonious divorce wherein my wife’s behaviour has become so extreme that she refuses to communicate directly with me or with our three children and is uncooperative even through a third party.
Together we hold three joint savings accounts for each of our children. They are aged 20, 16 and 12. The children wish to access those accounts but my wife has repeatedly refused to communicate on the matter. What can we do please?

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Are there ongoing proceedings in court?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No.

OK, I’ll try something else. It is generally the case that either party to a joint savings account can access the account. Is that the case here?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No, the accounts are operated jointly. Both parties’ signatures are required for withdrawals for example.

In that case your solicitor would have to take this to court. That would be an unfortunate waste of resources. Your best practical way of dealing with this is to make it an essential conditional of settlement that your wife signs over these accounts. It is unfortunate that there is no easy fix for this but her unreasonableness is the cause I’m afraid. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for my time.