How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16132
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am emailing hoping that you can advise me. I moved out

Customer Question

Good Evening,My name is ***** ***** I am emailing hoping that you can advise me.
I moved out from my last property in April 2018.
My landlord till this day had not returned my deposit.
He advised me that he took over the flat (which is true, i been advised of this) and that it went bankrup, and that he will give me 'something' once he gets it rented again.Few weeks back I have been driving back, near the flat (in the meantimeover the weeks I have been and still am waiting for my money, I had emailed, and asked my former landlord for an update...several times, and I had paid attention and noticed - 'to rent' sign was not in the window any longer.)I had improved the flat over the period I stayed in, which i had proofs, same for the full correspondence, and there anything I can do to get my money.
There is more to the story, how i was off work due anxiety (my role is HR Lead, and I have high level of responsibilities and stress involved. I also carry debts from the time I was a student, and not getting my money back only added to my un-wellbeing.I believe my landlord took advantage and thinks that 'polish girl' cannot do anything to legally make him pay back.i was never informed, at any time, nor from Penny Sue, person who rented the flat to me in teh first place, nor S***** *****, person who allegedly 'too over ' the flat, that the flat went bankrupt and I wont get my deposit...
Flat took over too place after more-less 3 months of me moving in December 2015. Over the years I spend in the flat, I fully pained it, plastered the whole in the ceiling, re-freshed kitchen cupboards, and laminate it white (from previous dirty, worn, dark greenish, I put full vinyl flooring in bathroom, scrabbled the mold and protected with mold preventing and repainted.
Should I had been informed I could have planned my expenses and investments differently, however - i was never informed of my original landlord going bankrupt.Is there anything that can be done to get this addressed with my 'landlords' and get the money back - it is not much £375, but this is about th principle and disrespect and stealing.(I moved to this low standard flat, as the current I was renting been in fire and was temporary staying in University accommodation, I had no penny on me, and I feel like I cannot let this go as this set a bad example and making him/them more comfortable in the future to do the same to others.Can you please help?If there would be anything that can be done, I could collect the correspondence and any relevant photos-evidences over this weekend and send it over.Please let me know at your earliest convenience,Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards, *****
(Polish national, in full employment since mid-May 2008, since my arrival, i pay my taxes, i pat back my student loan, i wish he pays back my deposit.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Has he been made bankrupt? Have you checked the Insolvency Register? Go to and follow the link link to the insolvency register. You can check his name there. If it’s there you have no chance of getting your money back. If it is not then you can sue him under Simple Procedure in th sheriff court and can get the forms at I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I am at work. Let me review at home and I will get back to you. Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will be finishing work around 17:00