31090051

I have done some freelance artwork for a client who is

Customer Question

I have done some freelance artwork for a client who is refusing to pay and I need some advice
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Scotland
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I said I could revise the work to something they are happy with, which they refused and then made further attempts to ask for payment explaining it was still hours I had worked, to which they refused again
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, website has been saying 8 minutes for a while, is this getting looked at?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Can you explain the situation a little more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. So I was approached by this company to do some UI design for them. I did some moodboards and was paid on time. I then just today sent them some concept art work. They were extremely negative and volatile in their response, something that I found very shocking as I am a professional artist and I do work full time as well as working freelance part time. They said the work was so poor it did not warrant payment. I do not have a contract however I do have an email that confirms the client agreed to my payment terms. I had also sent an invoice for £300 for the concepts. I believe they were particularly mean in order to scare me off as they didn’t want to pay me. Can I do anything? I did the work asked of me, I fulfilled my part.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

What was the scope of the work? My initial view is that if you are commissioned for work you are entitled to be paid even if the client doesn’t want the work. Please give me more detail if you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did offer them revisions and stayed professional in all our contact. I have screenshots of the conversation that show all this. They refused revisions and gave no feedback as to what was wrong, just kept saying it was bad. I don’t personally think the work was poor, certainly not to warrant that kind of response
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

What is the amount of money involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The initial agreement was for 40 hours of work. 6 hours for mood boards (which was paid) 12 hours for concepts (which was charged and is what is being refused) then a further 20 hours for the final screens. I invoiced weekly/bi-weekly for both stages I have done. And statednin the original terms that I charged £25 hour and would need payment within 7 days of invoice, all was agreed upon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initial payment was for £150 this bill was for £300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a huge amount of money, but a lot to me
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Sue them in the Simple Procedure Court at your local sheriff court. You can get the forms at www.scotcourts.gov.uk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate that. Do they have any leg to stand on with the claims of low quality work? I could show you it honestly I believe that it’s, if completely wrong for them, still done to a professional standard
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

They may not like the work but if it is done to a professional standard and in accordance with the contract they don’t have a leg to stand on.