How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15902
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

About 1 year ago I lost my flat as someone was growing

This answer was rated:

About 1 year ago I lost my flat as someone was growing cannabis in the loft and the whole building was burned down I have recently learned that the police and our landlord knew about it and nothing was done we had no insurance. I have recently been informed that the people who caused the fire have been caught just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to claim some money back for the things I lost

I am a solicitor in Scotland. If the people who caused the fire have assets you could sue them. An easier route might be to sue the landlord for not doing something about them. Had he done so then the fire would not have happened. If the value of what you lost is less than £5000 you can use the Simple Procedure in the Sheriff Court. You don’t need a solicitor and you can get the forms at I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you