How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15947
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner has been legally separated for twenty years and

This answer was rated:

My partner has been legally separated for twenty years and his separation papers state that his estranged wife forfeits any right to his pensions! He intends to divorce this year so that we can marry.....would his private pensions come to me if he dies before me?
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No. We spoke to both of his pension company said it would come to me and the other says it wouldn’t as name can’t be changed on his annuity!
Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: We haven’t spoken to a lawyer....I was hoping you could advise us on this matter.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I already receive widows pension from my late husband.....does this affect any rights I have to my partners pensions?

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can an answer to my earlier question be given via this platform? I paid £5 believing that I would be given a response via this platform. I can’t afford £43 to call you.

Don't worry, you don't have to pay or to call, that is merely an automatic suggestion by the platform.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find response to my original questions?

Are you based in England or Scotland?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then I would rather let a Scottish lawyer answer your question. I will opt out of the question, thank you.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to wait for an answer. Thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,

If you marry your partner your existing widow’s pension will stop unless the scheme says otherwise. You should have the scheme checked. As regards ***** *****’s pensions he can usually nominate you as the person to whom the pensions will go in the event of your death. That again depends on the scheme. Many pension schemes work that way and the pension doesn’t form part of the deceased’s person’s estate. Where there is an annuity involved it would normally go to the spouse so the advice you have been given by one of the pension companies does not sound right and this should be double checked at a more senior level or preferably with the written details of the scheme. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15947
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you