How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 14905
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I would like to chat with a lawyer please.. Police Scotland,

Customer Question

Good evening.. I would like to chat with a lawyer please..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Police Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have filed a complaint about the police
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no..
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  iram a replied 7 months ago.


What is your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my car was stolen and after 13 months found again. The police initiated a 911 service which created the costs of 336 Pounds for me instead of informing me so I can collect the car myself. I was informed via a letter about two months later instead of immediately via phone and email. I then filed a complaint against the police because of that to get my money back. Now the complaint procedure is going on and I have to have a phone call with the police I don't want as I have given them everything I have to say already via a very detailed letter and additional emails. Can the police force me to have a phone call with them? Do I have to accept a phone call which I don't want?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I prefer to write please.. it just took me some time to get the text so I can paste it in.. sorry
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am here now and it will be faster...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am just interested as this is unusual for me that I am kind of forced to have a phone call.. I am from West Germany and there they would accept it to be in written form. So I am wondering if I can be forced to have a phone call even I am in the position of someone who makes a complaint as a victim (because my car was stolen)..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not in the position of a suspect or a culprit... my position is the one of a victim who complaints about wrong behaviour of the police which generated unnecessary costs for me.. it is also the case that my car was standing around for about two months before I was informed that it was found.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope this costs not more than 5 Pounds.. the phone call would be 43 Pounds as it seems
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is anyone there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please answer via email.. thank you!
Expert:  JGM replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for your question. You can’t be forced to have a telephone conversation with the police. You can write to them and tell them you prefer to have things done in writing as regards ***** ***** against them. They may of course be wanting to mediate or make a settlement with you but you don’t have to talk to them if you don’t want to. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.