How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I would like to ask a couple of questions in case that I

This answer was rated:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I would like to ask a couple of questions in case that I have a lodger in my own property and due of bad behaviour and not willing pay for rent I would need to evict him but don't know about his rights or my rights. Can you help me please?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Edinburgh
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want some advice as I have plan to leave my property for some time and not happy have a stranger at my flat.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please continue and if is possible I would like to remove my name from the topic just for my protection. Just clarify that lodger doesn't have any written contract or agreement, everything was done just verbal. Lodger doesn't want pay increased cost of living which is caused of wasting of energies and also denied all rules set by landlord. He's at the end of living in period and has no paid any rent in the moment or security deposit.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

How long has the lodger resided in the property?

ReadyLaw, Advocate
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience: Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
ReadyLaw and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, the lodger is in the property exactly 3 months today which was also maximum period to stay.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I accidentally press request call
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please do not call me as I'm unable to pick up the phone

Do you not wish for me to call?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sorry that was mistake now I'm able do only the chat

Although there is no written agreement you can still give your tenant notice to leave. The notice must be in writing and you must give your lodger a minimum of 28 days within which to leave. If you have given the correct notice but they do not leave when it runs out, you can apply to the sheriff court for an order telling them to leave.

I hope I have clarified things for you.

Kidnly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

Best wishes


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I protect myself and my property in case that I'll need leave my property for certain time and I afraid that he can damage or steel some valuable things? I expect that lodger will not leave easily.

Good day, if he damages any property you should call the police immediately. He could be charged for criminal damage. You may want to bring to his attention your intention to call the police if he were to do so.