How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 14898
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My daughter is the defendant in a court action brought by

This answer was rated:

My daughter is the defendant in a court action brought by her abusive husband regarding child contact. It is a very complicated case which has been going on for over a year. She is currently representing herself, as is her husband. How does she apply to the court for contact to be reduced/retracted?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: The first hearing was just over a year ago. Interim supervised contact was granted for 6 sessions (when her son was 6 months old) Only 2 sessions took place; at the first he became very distressed, so session was cut short. at 2nd he was again distressed, was calmed down and taken back, but returned to mother at end of session in apparently drugged state. Contact centre withdrew services and made false allegations (medically disproved) of my daughter being psychotic. police investigations were halted and they drew up vulnerable person/adult concern reports for mother and son. All since disproved. Sheriff accused daughter at next hearing of being mentally ill/psychotic despite no evidence of this in court - contact centre report did not mention this, tho manager had made these claims to police (we discoverd after). Many hearings and curators report, but absolute refusal by court to look at contact centre incident/ manager's allegations, despite evidence put before sheriff. (report conclusions based solely on manager's word).MSP involved, trying to get police to reopen investigations, social services withholding info from daughter. Sheriff insisting on contact. Ignoring dangers posed by husband. Sorry this is long - very complicated and frightening
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: It is in my daughter's local sheriff court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We will be making a complaint against the sheriff. Have been lodging things, but how do we get sheriff to look at specific matter eg sisting case while incident investigated (which daughter been trying to say for last 9 months) or how to get sheriff to look at father's abuse/ reduce contact

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Is the case sisted at the moment?

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello, are you still there? (presumably I wont be charged the £44 )
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please can you tell me how to ask te sheriff to consifder reducing/retracting contact?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i.e. do we lodge a motion or what is the formal procedure?