How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15494
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Agreed a price of £13k (which had to be paid in full prior

This answer was rated:

Agreed a price of £13k (which had to be paid in full prior to commencement of works) to supply and fit new kitchen units and signed acceptance of the plans. Works to commence on 24 June and complete in 1 week. Has been disaster from outset. Wrong plan given to fitters resulting in units not fitting and insufficient space left for existing fridge and freezer. Also work was a shambles. Have now been unable to use kitchen since June and company said they were getting another to come, remove and refit as per the agreed plan. Still nothing has happened and having researched the company who are supposed to be doing the refit they are even worse than that I entered into contract with. They also cause such a disaster that clients have to engage others themselves to have works completed. Where do I go from here.
Assistant: Where are the clients? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Company is based in Elgin and works carried out in Inverness, both Scotland
Assistant: What steps have the clients taken so far?
Customer: Repeated calls and emails to firm and all the response seems to be idle promises
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not enough to space to relay the whole saga!!!

Thanks for your question. This is a clear breach of contract. On the basis that you don’t want these people in your house again you should terminate the contract and intimate a claim for breach of contract. Insist that the price is paid to you in full. If they don’t agree sue them immediately. Instruct another supplier to provide you with the same product. You claim will also include any additional cost. Your own solicitor will need to deal with the court action given the high value of the claim. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you