How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15083
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I entered an agreement with a dental practise to pay for

Customer Question

Hi, I entered an agreement with a dental practise to pay for treatment i couldn't afford - it was £1500 over 15 months / £100 a month. No paperwork or affordability checks were done. As the dentist is not regulated or authorised by the FCA, should the agreement be voided?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just googled
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no don't think so thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

How long ago did you agree to this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Ben, 9 months ago
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. I am sorry that your question was taken by an English expert who could not help you. The dentist is charging you professional fees. Any professional, such as a dentist, lawyer, accountant etc can offer the client an opportunity to pay by instalments. If there is no additional interest or charge for this there is no “credit” within the meaning of the CCA and so regulation is not required and is not relevant. The agreement cannot be held a either void or voidable. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.